Thursday, July 26, 2012

White Bean and Pancetta Soup

I came across some Pancetta a few months ago at Marin Sun Farms. It was on sale, so I purchased a good pound or so of it. I keep it in the freezer is a zip lock bag and use it from time to time for various recipes. This is one of those recipes. Pork and beans--its tradition for a reason-it tastes delicious! The pancetta offers a lightly smokey profile to this dish.

Ingredients
Pancetta-between 1/2 LBS to 1 LBS, diced
1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
2-3 garlic cloves, diced
Homemade chicken stock (1.5-2 cups)
White beans, Cannellini or Great Northern about 2.5 cups
2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
Fresh lemon thyme and rosemary (although fresh parsley would be nice)




Directions 
Add oil to a saucepan and cook the pancetta. I had never cooked with Pancetta before, and I thought it would smell and taste like bacon, but it has a  smokey flavor. At first, I thought the meat was off, but that is just the way it smells. 


When the pancetta releases some of its fat, throw the onions in and continue to cook until the onions are nicely browned, and the pancetta is cooked.


Add the chicken stock. How much you ask? I think it depends on how liquidy you want your soup and how many beans you have. I tend to like mine somewhat liquidy, so I add about a cup and a half.  


Add the white beans, Herbes de Provence, fresh lemon thyme and the rosemary. Reserve the fresh parsley, if using, as a garnish. 


Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook and stir until the beans are cooked. Add more stock as necessary. 
















Once the stock has reduced and the beans are cooked, you are done! Serve with freshly toasted rustic bread! Delicious! 





















No comments:

Post a Comment